We provide a range of solutions and support to Institutional Landlords and Investors to assist with projects in the Private Rental Sector. We can guide a PRS project through from inception to ongoing management, assisting with every stage of the process.
Our experienced team has a thorough understanding of the operational, financial and regulatory requirements of residential property management.
Our teams are totally focused on providing excellent customer service to both you and your tenants.
SDL Bigwood provide rapid, responsive management, consultancy and support – where and when you need it most.
The end-to-end support SDL Bigwood PRS & Estate Management can offer includes:
We provide initial feedback on the suitability of any potential sites to avoid any major energy or time being wasted at the start of the project. Following positive feedback from ourselves and the contractor, a more detailed analysis will be undertaken which will explore the achievable rents, suggest an ideal mix of units and provide comparable and empirical evidence to support the proposition with the potential funders.
We will oversee and manage the marketing activities of the properties and developments, based on an amount agreed per property.
These activities are likely to include:
- The design, construction & maintenance of a dedicated website
- The creation & production of all marketing collateral (digital & printed)
- Walk through videos and photography
- Production & erection of site signage
- Site press launches and local PR activity
- Social media activity and ads (Facebook & Twitter)
- Listing properties on property portals, plus banner ads & premium listings where necessary
- Print advertisements
- Direct mail and email campaigns to existing/rented databases
- We will of course provide regular feedback on the success and impact of these activities throughout the duration of the project.
- Letting the properties
- We will employ a third party agent to manage the tenant-find, referencing and check-in processes. Wherever possible, we would utilise our own franchise network; CENTURY 21 UK. The Agents’ activity will be managed and overseen centrally to ensure they are performing to our required service levels. These Agents are also responsible for the initial vetting of the potential tenants; a process which can overseen by the Client and ourselves. Their activities include:
- Accompanying viewings of any available units and show homes (where available)
- Ensuring all relevant information is gathered from the potential tenants to help make an informed decision on suitability
- Provide us with a copy of the tenants’ application to allow us to vet and approve subject to passing pre-defined credit search/score criteria
- Undertake the supervision of the lease signing and confirm the terms of the let (an electronic format can be produced by us to allow electronic signing ensuring a copy is always held by us centrally)
- Production of an electronic inventory of the property prior to the tenant taking residence
- The release of keys and an induction to the property
- Secure storage of two sets of spare keys in the Agents’ local office for emergencies and maintenance
- Regular mid-term inspections during the lifetime of the tenancy
- Check-out inspections at the end of tenancies to assess if tenants deposit should be released and/or contested
The overall management of the tenancies and properties is the responsibility of the Customer Service team based at our Head Offices in Nottingham. All members of this Team are either ARLA qualified or in the process of obtaining the ARLA certification and are therefore able to handle a full range of tenant enquiries quickly and efficiently.
The team operates Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm and on Saturdays, 9:00am – 1:00pm. Outside of these office hours, the calls are transferred to a 24/7 emergency support helpline that has the authority and ability to handle any emergency enquiries.
This team are responsible for:
- Collection of first month’s rent and deposit from the accepted applicants
- Logging deposit with a deposit protection scheme
- Ensuring the landlord is kept fully updated and protected on all legislation requirements, both at a national and Local Government level
- Handling everyday tenant queries which are received via phone or email to the Head Office, including maintenance requests, lease changes or changes to the properties
- The instruction and management of any tenant maintenance requests , including gaining approval of costs from the landlord where applicable
- Management of leases, renewals and processing annual rent increases
- Arranging and managing the renewal of legal safety inspections, including Gas, EPCs, PAT tests and Electrical Safety Inspections
- Managing arrears, including the initial contact with tenants to confirm the issue, the process of chasing payments, negotiating payment plans (where applicable) and communicating any progression to the landlord
- Preparing eviction notices ready to be served to the tenant (where applicable) and the information required if the process needs to be escalated to court action Any fees incurred in the legal eviction of a tenant will not be covered in our standard management fees
- Processing rent payments to the landlord and providing supporting documentation, such as copies of invoices
- Production of bespoke Management Information, for example, Lettings Reports, Investment
- Reports, Transaction Reports, Daily Dashboards and Executive Summaries
- Project & account management
This encompasses the overarching management of the project and ensures everyone is kept fully informed at all stages.
Our key responsibilities include:
- The co-ordination of the build schedule
- We liaise with the Employer’s Agent and the Builder regarding the delivery schedule and monitor the 42, 21 and 14 day notices
- Should there be any changes to the build schedule, we will help the contractor focus on the more urgent cases
- We manage and oversee the requirements of Day 0 (when the properties switch from the contractor’s responsibility to the Landlord’s)
- We ensure the units are adequately insured
- We collect all the keys to the properties
- We collect and store all the relevant individual property data, for example the EPCs, Gas Safe Certificates, Electrical Certificates, all warranty details, meter readings, Partial
- Possession details and final snagging lists
- We monitor and assist with specification and detailing changes
- We liaise with key suppliers, such as boiler and appliance providers, to ensure warranties are in place and are sufficient for our needs
- We keep marketing literature up to date to reflect any changes to the specification of the properties
- We undergo rent reviews to ensure the minimum rents in the plan are achieved and look for opportunities to increase listing base rents where possible
- We control the final tenant approval process to ensure all tenants meet and match the Landlord’s letting criteria
- Our client management procedures provide the Landlord with a single point of contact for the management of the overall portfolio
For more information on PRS and build-to-rent, please contact Paul Staley.
report a repair
Southampton resident’s area
- Estate Management
- Commercial Management
- Retirement Management
- Ground Rents
- Lease Extensions & Enfranchisement
- Rural Land Management
- Lettings Management
- Estate Management
SDL Bigwood Property Management